El Alto and Aymara Mansions
Meet in front of the San Francisco Church and go with your guide towards the central station to catch the Red Line cable cars, then switch over to the Blue Line, ride the cable cars and have a birds eye view of a couple of avenues full of Cholets, once of the cable cars you will head over to visit one of these amazing buildings and learn what they are used for and how the El Alto economy has grown so much thanks to theses places and the events that take place in them. Then visit the Mamani Mamani apartment complex “WHIPALA”. Afterwards head back to the center of El Alto and back to the city of La Paz.
per adult from
What's included :
- All activities
- Driver and local transportation
- Professional guide
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- The City of El Alto was part of the city of La Paz until the year 1987, since then it is an independent and autonomous city. Thanks to this division El Alto started growing and expanding very rapidly, along with the massive waves of immigration from the rural area and the new socialist government came a big economic growth. This sudden growth made it possible for new designs and structures to be build all over El Alto, it was in this big construction wave that Arquitect Freddy Mamani became well know and sought after for building the amazing structures that we now call Andean mansion or Cholets (mixture between the word Cholo and Chalet). Although the city of El Alto has become more and more modern they have kept their roots and traditions very strong and this can be seen in the rich mixture between the ancient and the modern of the designs of these buildings. Very colorful, bright and unique amazing buildings now decorate the city of El Alto. Another important artist that has become very well known is Mamani Mamani, local painter that makes these very colorful and bright, yet deeply local and traditional designs for his paintings. He has painted a few facades over the city but his biggest project is the WHIPALA COMPLEX, a total of 6 big apartment buildings that have the whole façade painted by Mamani Mamani, the structure is so massive that you can actually see it from the planes when landing or taking off from the El Alto Airport.
Departure Point :Tour departs from the San Francisco square, right in front of the San Francisco Church, meeting time is 14:50 to check in with the guide. The church is right on the main Avenue Montes and the corner of Sagarnaga Street.
Departure Time :3:00 PM
Return Detail :The return is to the same spot, from there the guide can help you catch a bus, taxi or minibus to wherever you need to go, guide can also help you find good places to eat or to go after the tour.
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Most travelers can participate
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Dress code is smart casual
- May be operated by a multi-lingual guide
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.