Hiking Day-Trip to Quilotoa Lagoon from Quito
Quilotoa loop tour takes you for a full-day trip to hike in Quilotao Lagoon and its surrounding areas. Visit Saquisilí, Zumbahua and Tigua Villages. Drive through the unforgettable mountain villages settled on the Avenue of the Volcanoes. Get close to the local community and farmers in the surrounding areas and experience enriching encounters with local culture. Join a group of fellow travellers and discover the beauty on the Andean landscape.
per adult from
What's included :
- Transportation from Quito to Quilotoa and back (hotels within the urban perimeter ONLY)
- Bilingual Guide
- Guided Hike in Quilotoa Lagoon and visit to a local market (market place depends on day of the week)
What's excluded :
- Entry fee to Quilotoa Lagoon USD $2 per person
- Items/ activities not mentioned on the itinerary
- Breakfast or other meals aside form Lunch
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Nature Galapagos & Ecuador, Av Amazonas N41-95 & Isla Floreana, Quito 170150 Ecuador
Early in the morning, the trip starts by driving 89 km south from Quito through the Panamericana Hwy. aka “The Avenue of the Volcanoes”. The first stop will be Latacunga City at Cotopaxi Province. From this point, head west for a 1-hour drive through the unforgettable Andean scenery towards the village of Quilotoa.
Visit a local town and get in contact with the Andean culture (either Saquisilí or Pujilí). Get the chance to mix with the rich Andean culture of the local community that inhabits the surrounding area by visiting either Saquisil, Pujili or Zimbahua Indian markets (depends on the day).
The lovely town of Zimbahua comes right before we start hiking down towards the turquoise colored Quilotoa Lagoon. Trek around this natural wonder of water holding strong minerals, formed by the collapsed volcanic caldera. From the rim hike down towards the banks of the lagoon and then climb back up.
Have lunch at a local restaurant and then stop at the small town Tigua (famous for the Tigua art - paintings made with chicken feather brushes over sheep hide canvas - a celebration of the mountain life, the festivals, the legends, and traditions of the area). In the late afternoon, head back to Quito.
The weather in the area of the Quilotoa Lagoon is unpredictable so please bring warm and waterproof clothing. Quilotoa is located at 3,800 masl and the temperatures usually hovers around the 12°so we recommend acclimatizing at least one day prior to this trip. Please don’t make this excursion you first right after arriving Ecuador. The hike is easy and you need no climbing expertise, however, we do recommend to climb back up from the lagoon on a mule or horse (cost not included in the price of the tour). Swimming in the lagoon is not recommended.
* IMPORTANT NOTE:
For Thursdays and Sundays (open departures), meet wtih your guide and fellow travellers at 6:45am at the centrally located meeting point at Mariscal Barrio.
For Mon, Tue, Wed, Fri and Sat departures, the guide will pick you up at the your hotel in Quito around 8:00 - 8:30am.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Departure Point: Thursdays & Sundays: (Meeting Point)Barrio Mariscal in Quito - Ecuador ( Magic Bean Restaurant or Q Restaurant, both located at Barrio Mariscal at Mariscal Foch y Juan León Mera). Note: The exact point of departure will be informed upon confirmation. Mon, Tue, Wed, Fri, Sat: Your hotel in Quito - Please inform us of your hotel of stay (hotels within the urban perimeter ONLY).Address: Thursdays & Sundays: (Meeting Point)Barrio Mariscal in Quito - Ecuador (Magic Bean Restaurant or Q Restaurant, both located at Barrio Mariscal at Mariscal Foch y Juan León Mera). Note: The exact point of departure will be informed upon confirmation.Mon, Tue, Wed, Fri, Sat: Your hotel in Quito - Please inform us of your hotel of stay (hotels within the urban perimeter ONLY).Directions: Magic Bean Restaurant located at Barrio Mariscal at Mariscal Foch E5-08 y Juan León MeraDates: THURSDAY & SUNDAYReturn point: Original departure pointMon, Tue, Wed, Fri, Sat: (your hotel in Quito)8h00 - 9h00am. Starting time may change. Pick-up time will be confirmed in the Service Voucher send by the Tour Operator through the Viator platform. Note: Please be ready at your hotel lobby 10 min before departure time.IMPORTANT NOTE: A voucher will be sent with the exact place and time to start the tour
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- What to bring: Warm clothes, eaterproof jacket, gloves, sunscreen, hat, hiking shoes, extra pair of socks, extra pants
- Clothing Suggestions: Comfortable and warm clothes (appropriate for location). Comfortable hiking shoes, walking stick
- Note: The tour is not private. Travelers will share services with a group. Maximum people per tour is 12
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.