Katkavaara Nature Path
Breath-taking sceneries! Kätkävaara is located between Rovaniemi and Kemi, close to the Pisavaara Strict Nature Reserve which is the strictest protected of all large nature reservations in Europe. The nature in the Kätkävaara region is unbelievably beautiful and diverse. Indeed, Kätkävaara can easily be called a nature-lover’s paradise with plenty of wild animals and birds living in the area.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Guidance services
- Snacks mentioned
- Organizer's liability insurance
- Safari desk support
- Coffee and/or Tea
What's excluded :
- Private tours available for additional charge
- Partly bare fells climb towards the skies in the Kätkävaara region. Rivers with crystal clear waters, vast string bogs and dense forests lie in the valleys between the fells. A nature-lover feels right at home here. There are numerous different kinds of nature reserves in the Kätkävaara region. The biggest of these is the Pisavaara Strict Nature Reserve, which is the highest fell in Southern Lapland and the most strictly protected national park in Europe.
The forests are diverse. The fauna in the region consists of both arctic Lapland animals and animals of coniferous forests. The lynx, wood grouse, willow grouse, golden eagle, moose and bear inhabit the area. Indeed, it’s fairly easy to spot wild animals in the Kätkävaara region. There’s also plenty of reindeer.
The Kätkävaara region is also famous for its berries. Blueberries, lingonberries, cloudberries, cranberries and various mushrooms can be collected in the late summer and early fall.
There are also plenty of lakes, bonds, creeks and rivers for fishing. The bonds and lakes in the area offer great places for ice-fishing and regular fishing. The grayling and the trout can be caught in the Louejoki and Vaajoki rivers. Louejoki and Vaajoki rivers also provide canoeing guides.
The most popular attraction in the area is the Kätkävaara nature path, which travels along the shores of ancient seas. The 7 km trail includes 19 separate destinations. Halfway through the trail, on top of the Kätkävaara fell, hikers will find a log hut where they can warm themselves by the fire and rest for a while. The breathtaking view from the top of the fell covers the entire Southern Lapland. The trail can be accessed from many different directions, although the best starting point is by the Kätkäjärvi Lake.
Signs of the oldest habitation in Northern Finland, thousands of years old, have been found in the Kätkävaara region. Archeologists are now eagerly studying the ancient remains.
The trail goes from little forest ponds up to the summit and breath taking views. Snacks and warm beverages are offered during the trip in a tepee. Info about Pisavaara strict nature reservation on the way. Starts at 10am from your hotel’s reception.
Departure Point :Lapland Welcome, Rovakatu 26, 96200 Rovaniemi, Finland
Traveler pickup is offered
We will confirm the exact pick up time upon booking.The meeting time at Lapland Welcome Safari Office (Rovakatu 26, 2nd floor, 96200 Rovaniemi) is 15 minutes before the starting time of the safari.
Departure Time :10:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at the time of booking if required
- Plenty of walking is involved, classification for this tour is challenging
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- Please contact us if you wish to have a guide in other language
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.