Kilimanjaro 6-Days Private Trekking Tour via Machame Route
Machame Route now vies with – and indeed over the last few years has overtaken – the Marangu Route as the most popular trail. Machame is also the regarded by many guides as the most enjoyable, though it is longer and, according to most, more arduous. Despite this, the success rate on the Machame Route is higher than on the Marangu Route, possibly because the Machame is a day longer at six days and five nights (assuming you take the Barafu Route to the summit) which gives trekkers more time to acclimatize. An extra acclimatization day can – and usually is -taken in the Karanga Valley. The Machame Route also gives you the option of taking the Western Breach / Arrow Glacier Route to the summit.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- 5x Breakfast
- 5x Dinner
- 6x Lunch
- Accommodation included: 5 nights
- All Fees and Taxes
- Return transfers Kilimanjaro airport to Moshi and Moshi to Kilimanjaro airport
- Hotel the night before and the night after the climb, with breakfast included
- Emergency oxygen (for use in emergencies only – not as summit aid) & Basic first aid kit
- Qualified mountain guide, assistant guides, porters and cook + Their Wages
- Camping equipment (tents, camp chairs, tables & sleeping mattress)
- Fresh Water for drinking & Hot water for a wash daily
- Entry/Admission - Shira Camp
- Entry/Admission - Lava Tower
What's excluded :
- Visas & Flights
- Travel & Health Insurances
- Personal hiking/trekking gear – You can rent the gears from equipment store in Tanzania
- Optional but highly recommended Portable toilet
- Personal medicine and water purifying tablets + Meals & drinks not specified and snacks
Day 1: Drive to Machame Gate, Hike to Machame Camp
Stop At: Machame Trail, Tanzania
Elevation: 1830m To 3050m | Distance: 11km/7mi | Hiking Time: 5-6 Hours
Drive from Moshi to the Mount Kilimanjaro National Park Gate takes about 45 minutes. The journey passes through the village of Machame which is located on the lower slopes of the mountain. We depart the park gate and walk through the rain forest on a winding trail up a ridge. At lower elevations, the trail can be muddy and slippery. Gaiters and trekking poles are a good idea here. We continue a short distance until we reach the Machame Camp.
Duration: 6 hours
No accommodation included on this day.
Day 2: Hike Machame Camp to Shira Camp
Stop At: Shira Camp, Tanzania
Elevation: 3050m To 3850m | Distance: 5km/3mi | Walking Time: 4-5 Hours
After breakfast we leave the glades of the rain forest and continue on an ascending path, crossing the valley along a steep rocky ridge. The route now turns west onto a river gorge until we arrive at the Shira campsite.
Duration: 5 hours
Accommodation included: Overnight at Shira Camp
Day 3: Hike Shira Camp to Lava Tower to Barranco Camp
Stop At: Lava Tower, Tanzania
Elevation: 3850m To 4000m | Distance: 10km/6mi | Walking Time: 5-6 Hours
From the Shira Plateau, we continue to the east up a ridge, passing the junction towards the peak of Kibo. As we continue, our direction changes to the South East towards the Lava Tower, called the "Shark's Tooth" (elevation 4650m/15,250ft). Shortly after the tower, we come to the second junction which goes to the Arrow Glacier. We now continue down to the Barranco Camp. Although you end the day around the same elevation as when you began, this day is very important for acclimatization and will help your body prepare for summit day.
Duration: 6 hours
Accommodation included: Overnight at Barranco Camp
Day 4: Barranco Camp to Barafu Camp
Stop At: Barafu Stella Trail, Tanzania
Elevation (ft) : 13,000ft to 15,000ft
Distance : 9km
Hiking Time : 8-10 hours
Habitat : Alpine Desert
After breakfast, we leave Barranco and continue on a steep ridge passing the Barranco Wall, to the Karanga Valley campsite. Then, we leave Karanga and hit the junction which connects with the Mweka Trail. We continue up to the Barafu Hut. At this point, you have completed the South Circuit, which offers views of the summit from many different angles. Here we make camp, rest, enjoy dinner, and prepare for the summit day. The two peaks of Mawenzi and Kibo are to be seen from this position.
Duration: 9 hours
Accommodation included: Overnight at Barafu Camp
Day 5: Barafu Camp to Summit then Descend to Mweka Camp
Stop At: Uhuru Peak, Tanzania
Elevation: 4700m To 5895m | Down To 3090m | Distance: 5km/3mi Up / 13km/8mi Down
Very early in the morning (midnight to 2 am), we continue our way to the summit between the Rebmann and Ratzel glaciers. You head in a northwesterly direction and ascend through heavy scree towards Stella Point on the crater rim. This is the most mentally and physically challenging portion of the trek. At Stella Point you will stop for a short rest and will be rewarded with the most magnificent sunrise you are ever likely to see. Faster hikers may view the sunrise from the summit. From Stella Point, you may encounter snow all the way on your 1-hour ascent to the summit. Once at Uhuru Peak you have reached the highest point on Mount Kilimanjaro and the continent of Africa! From the summit we begin our descent by continuing straight down to the Mweka Camp, stopping at Barafu for lunch. You may want gaiters and trekking poles for the loose gravel going down. We arrive at Mweka Camp and enjoy our last evening on the mountain.
Duration: 14 hours
Accommodation included: Overnight at Mweka Camp
Day 6: Descend From Mweka Camp to Mweka Gate, then a drive to Moshi/Arusha
Stop At: Mweka Trail, Tanzania
Elevation: 3090m To 1680m | Distance: 10km/6mi | Hiking Time: 3-4 Hours
After breakfast, we continue the descent down to the Mweka Park Gate to receive your summit certificates. At lower elevations, it can be wet and muddy. Gaiters and trekking poles will help. Shorts and t-shirts will probably be plenty to wear (keep rain gear and warmer clothing handy). From the gate, continue another hour to Mweka Village. A vehicle will meet you at Mweka village to drive you back to your hotel in Moshi (about 30 minutes).
Duration: 4 hours
Accommodation included: Overnight at Your Hotel/Lodge in Moshi or Arusha
Departure Point :Moshi Urban, Tanzania
Traveler pickup is offered
Our On-duty Representative(s) will be carrying a paper written your name(s), Kindly observe around to notice her/himAirports
- Kilimanjaro Airport, Kilimanjaro National Park Tanzania
- Julius Nyerere International Airport, Julius K. Nyerere Rd, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- Arusha Airport, Arusha, Tanzania
- Tanzania Ports Authority, Custom Road, Bagamoyo, Tanzania
Departure Time :3/26/2020 - 10/20/2021
Monday - Sunday: 03:30 AM - 11:30 PM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A current valid passport is required on the day of travel
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.