The Georgetown Bazaar Walk by Wonder tours
On this tour, we explore the busy neighbourhood of Georgetown. This area consists of well-established specialised bazaars, with small winding streets, warehouses, covered wholesale markets, street stalls and retail shops.
Originally called ‘Black Town’, the area came up in the late 1600s after the founding of Fort St. George. Local people settled here to trade and do business with the fort. A portion of Black Town was flattened in the 1700’s, to provide an open area outside Fort St George. The residents of Blacktown re-settled just beyond the open area, in what was called New Black Town.
In the mid 1800’s, the open area (old Black Town) was used to construct the grand building of Madras High Court. In 1910, when King George visited India, Blacktown was renamed Georgetown. Today Georgetown continues to be a busy market area, selling everything under the sun: bangles, fabrics, fruits, vegetables, spices, stationery, jewellery, etc.
per adult from
What's included :
- All Fees and Taxes
- Bottled water
- Entry/Admission - Kotwal Chavadi Market
- Entry/Admission - Sowcarpet
- Entry/Admission - Hotel Saravana Bhavan
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Kotwal Chavadi Market, Audiappa Naicken St, kothawal bazaar, George Town, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600001, India
From being the Black Town to becoming a bustling wholesale market, George Town in Chennai has seen it all. A market place where practically anything that can be legally sold can be bought for the right price. The walking tour takes you into the heart of the vegetable and flower market, with fascinating stories that provide a context to the colourful sights. A visit to the heart of George Town is an experience you will not forget. Crowded markets, narrow lanes, fascinating history, and mesmerizing images are welcoming you to experience the colorful and rich culture.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Sowcarpet, Chennai (Madras) India
Sowcarpet is a neighborhood in the northern part of Chennai, India. Sowcarpet is one of the oldest neighborhoods of the city with narrow streets and vintage buildings. It is a bustling commercial area of the city, and a range of wholesale markets are located here.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Hotel Saravana Bhavan, 209, NSC Bose Rd, Parrys, George Town, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600001, India
After Completing a trip we provide the free snacks and coffee here !!
Duration: 20 minutes
Departure Point :Hotel Saravana Bhavan, 209, NSC Bose Rd, Parrys, George Town, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600001, India
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Most travelers can participate
- Near public transportation
- Not wheelchair accessible
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.